- Published: Thursday, 08 May 2014 21:05
- Hits: 5836
IgY Purification from Chicken Egg Yolks
- Polyethylene Glycol precipitation3
- Dextran Sulphate Precipitation4
- Organic Solvent Lipid Solubilization5
- Natural Gums, Xantham/Carageenan Precipitation6
- Lipid Dilution/Ultrafiltration7
Following the delipidation of your egg yolk, the almost lipid-free solution can now be treated in a number of ways to concentrate/purify the IgY fraction:
- Polyethylene Glycol Precipitation3
- Sodium Sulphate Precipitation4
- Ultrafiltration/Ammonium Sulphate Precipitation7
- Preparative Electrophoresis8
There are a number of IgY Purification Kits commercially available that use one or more of the methods described above (Gallus Immunotech also provides an IgY purification service.):
|Manufacturer||IgY Purification Kit Name||IgY Yield
(mg IgY /gram yolk)
(% Purity by SDS PAGE)
(per mg IgY purified)
|Gallus Immunotech||IgY Eggspress Purification Kit||4-9||85-90||a|
|Pierce Biotechnology/ Thermoscientific||Eggcellent IgY Purification Kit||4-9||85-90||b|
|Promega||Eggstract IgY Purification System||2-5||75-90*||d|
|GE Healthcare||HiTrap IgY Purification||Information not available||Information not available||Information not available|
|Affiland||IgY Purification Kit||Information not available||98||Information not available|
*75% for 2-step protocol, 90% purity for 3-step protocol a = cheapest, d = most expensive
Other IgY Resources:
- Hen Immunization Protocol
- Affinity Purification of IgY
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA)
- Western Blots
- Kovacs-Nolan, J. and Y. Mine, 2004. Avian egg antibodies: basic and potential applications. Avian and Poultry Biology Reviews 15 (1), 2004, 25-46.
- Akita, EM and S. Nakai, 1993. Comparison of four purification methods for the production of immunoglobulins from eggs laid by hens immunized with an enterotoxigenic strain of E. coli. J. Immunol. Methods 160: 207-14.
- Polson, A., von Wechmar, M.B. and Fazakerley, G. 1980. Antibodies to proteins from yolk of immunized hens. Immunol. Commun., 9 :495-514.
- Jensenius, J.C., Anderson, I., Hau, J., Crone, M. and Kock, C. 1981. Eggs: conveniently packaged antibodies. Method for puri®cation of yolk IgG. J. Immunol. Methods, 46, 63-8.
- Bade, H. and Stegemann, H., 1984. Rapid method of extraction of antibodies from hen egg yolk. J. Immunol. Methods, 71, 421-6.
- Hatta, H., Kim, M. and Yamamoto, T.,1990. A novel isolation method for hen egg yolk antibody IgY. Agric. Biol. Chem., 54 : 2531-5.
- Akita, E.M. and Nakai, S. 1992. Immunoglobulins from egg yolk: Isolation and purification. J. Food Sci., 57, 629-34.
- Gee, Sarah C., Irene M. Bate, Theresa M. Thomas and Dennis B. Rylatt. 2003. The purification of IgY from chicken egg yolk by preparative electrophoresis. Protein Expr Purif 30:151-5.